Details of Haunted Place :
The Waverly Hill Sanatorium
Built in 1883 as the family home of Major Thomas H. Hays, the home over time became a school, and then a sanatorium. Tuberculosis patients were housed in the building during the early 20th century, and by the 1920s, the building was expanded and improved. It remained as a sanatorium until 1962, when it became a hospital. In 1981, it was finally closed.
Since then, many visitors and paranormal investigators have reported that several residents of the building may not have left. One room of particular note is Room 502, which according to legend, is the room where a nurse was murdered, or committed suicide. Apparitions, footsteps and voices can be heard in this room according to visitors.
According to legend, there have been over 63,000 deaths in the sanatorium, but in reality the number of deaths is probably closer to 8,000. Even so, that is plenty of spirits who may still walk the hallways of the last place they ever lived, as tuberculosis slowly killed them.
One part of the sanatorium that many say is haunted is the body chute, which is where patients were tossed after they died. This tunnel has had several instances of paranormal activity including voices, footsteps and the visions of ghostly figures walking around.